Saturday, April 21, 2007

War Can Bring Joy

Dear diary.

Today I have a new valet called Cacambo, he is very nice. He is also fairly religious because he believes that god takes care of all women. I hope he is right and that Cunégonde is in a good, safe place now. I was scared when Cunégonde I didn’t know what to do with out Cunégonde, where we should go? What shell we do? I was depressed. Cacambo suggested that we'll fight on the side of the rebellious Paraguayan Jesuits. I thought it was a good idea because the army can give us shelter and food. He helped me feel better when he said "they will be delighted to have a captain who knows Bulgarian drill and tactics. You will make a vast fortune. The situation looked good until we met one of the rebel guard. We ask to speak to the colonel but the colonel orders the guard to orders our weapons and our horses seized. I thought we were going to die because we were surrounded by twenty four men and we were informed that were only aloud to be in the country for 3 hours. It was bad news because we were both starving. Every thing changed when Cacambo saved our lives when he said I was German. When the colonel heard that he agreed to see me. I was happy because I was suddenly served with respect. I was handed a golden plate with food on it while before they would have let me starve if I wasn’t German. On his order our weapons and horses were returned. When the Colonel asked me if im German in that language I said "yes reverend father". Than I realized that the colonel is Cunégonde brother! We were both full of joy from seeing each other. I was really happy to see a familiar face. I and the baron embrace one another in tearful joy. I told him that Cunégonde also survived the attack and that she is with the governor. While we waited for more food, the colonel told his story.

No comments: