Thursday, April 5, 2007

A Life Worth Killing For.


I have questioned the decisions I have made today several times. My life was devastating when I lost Cunegonde and I couldn’t do it again. Cunegonde’s Israelite entered in a rage to find me there with her. Angered that he was sharing her not only with the Inquisitor he drew his sword and ran toward me. Panicked and surprised to see he was armed, I drew the fine sword the old women gave me with the clothes and killed him. I saw his dead body lying next to Cunegonde’s feet and I found myself regretting what I did. Normally I would never hurt anyone, but this happened so fast it doesn’t even seem real. Cunegonde was just as scared as I was and was frightened that I would be hanged. We sought the advice of the old women because we were too surprised at the situation to make a logical decision. As the old women was about to share her advice the door opened to our surprise and there stood the inquisitor, who’s time with Cunegonde had just begun. As he stood there, staring at the corpse, he was just as astonished to see me as I was to see him. I thought he could have me burned or whipped and he is my enemy. Still holding the sword in hand I quickly ran it into him leaving him dead on the floor too. Seeing both corpses on the floor, Cunegonde, even more frightened that before, was saying that it was our last hour and we were going to be severely punished. I assured her it was for the best because I love her and all men do crazy things when they are in love. Fortunately the old women knew exactly what to do. She showed us to the horses and told us to get Cunegonde’s diamonds and moidores to take with us to Cadiz. The weather outside was very nice since it was night and we traveled for thirty miles without stopping. We stopped at an inn in the little town of Aracena, where we ended our eventful day in discussion.
Idea: Voltaire includes this chapter because it shows Candide’s devotion to Cunegonde. Candide says he is willing to do anything for even kill someone, like he did, when he says “When a man is in love, is jealous. And has been flogged by the Inquisition, he does the most surprising things.” (23) He proved his statement correct when he killed the Jew and the Inquisitor and ran away with her.
Satire:
“That great philosopher would have given us good advice in this emergency. Since we have not him, let us consult the old women.”(22) This is an example of black humor because he is making fun of women and saying that the philosopher isn’t hear to give them good advice the have to get it from the old lady.

“There are three Andalusian horses in the stable, with there saddles and bridles” (23) This is and example of deus ex machina because it is a coincident that there is exactly three horses for the three of them with their saddles to get away.
“But the stalwart young west phalian had received, along with the suit of clothes that the old women gave him, and excellent sword.”(22) This is also example of deus ex machina because it is unlikely that the women would have given him a sword because they were expensive and even if she did give it to him why would he wear it, who was he planning on fighting against.

No comments: