Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Cunégonde Re-found


I was in a bad mood today but in this case I still followed the old lady. She led me to a hovel and gave me ointment for my back and food. Daily she came and brought me food and cared for my wounds. Right before the lady leaves she tells me some people’s names to watch over me, but I was still dazed about what happened to me, so in that case I did not bother to pay attention. For her kindness I felt it necessary to kiss her hand, but she did not say thank you all she said was, “It’s not my hand you should kiss.” She left and said she will be back to anoint my back tomorrow.
The lady came in brought me breakfast, also put ointment on my wounds and checked to see if my back was getting any better. Then she brought me lunch and dinner. This same routine happened for about a few days and I kept asking who she was, why she was so kind and how could I show my gratitude, but every time I ask she does not ever give me reply. Then one day the same old lady came into my room, but without any supper and I was confused because she asked me to come with her and do not speak. She took me and bit in the country to a little lonely house.
When ever the lady took me to the door she just simply knocked on the door and the door opened to the knock. The lady brought me to a gilt room and she sat me down on a brocaded sofa. I felt that my past was a nightmare and the present was a dream, but it was fairly pleasant.
When she came back into the room, she brought a lady with her who was trembling and covered in beautiful, expensive jewels.
When I took off her veil, to my amazement it was Mistress Cunégonde! I feel speechless to her feet and she fell backwards onto the sofa.
For some reason it was to hard to believe it was Cunégonde. So I had to ask her if it was really her and alive in Portugal because I heard that they ravished her and ripped open her belly.
She told me that this did happen to her and her mother, her father, and brother were killed. I also asked her how she managed to come to Portugal and be at this house. She told me she shall tell me the story, so I listened to her obey and ready to listen to her story.

IDEA:
Voltaire includes the chapter because it shows how Candide was feeling before he realized that Cunégonde was still alive. it also shows that he is apperciates the kindness of the old lady and how much kindness she is showing to wards him. this chapter also prepares us to hear the story of Cunégonde's horrifying adventure because the chapter just ends before she starts her story because the next chapter is her story.

SATIRE:
Deus ex machina- the old lady in this chapter is the hand of God because she is helping to take care of Candide without any repay because she will not even tell Candide her name
Irony- this chapter was ironic because I did not expect Cunégonde to be at the little lonely house. i knew she was going to be re-found because of the chapet title but .not in Portugal, with the same old lady's care taking.

No comments: