Thursday, April 5, 2007

Candide: The Old Ones’ Past


Jeremy Cavanna

English 101

Chapter 11 ‘Summary’

April 04, 2007


Today I met this old woman who had a very interesting story, she told me about her past, one of the thing she talked about was how beautiful she was back then. She grew in beauty, grace and talent, in the midst of pleasures, homer and fair expectations. She told me how she inspired men with love, back then. I think that this woman isn’t lying, I think that this woman really was beautiful, and I think that it is the event that occurred in her life that changed her to be equal physically wise to other average people, because everything is for the best, and she lost her physical advantage to trade it for an advanced intellectual degree, based on the experiences she lived in her life. Later on in her life, she got captured by Russians, to be sold as a slave in Morocco; it was very hard for her as a princess to be reduced to slavery. It was a very hard period of her life she told me, but I think that it was for the best because she has acquired a lot of knowledge and experiences through her pain, and just like she is teaching me right now, she will be able to teach others. She explained to me her arrival at Morocco, and how the country was divided in different fractions that broke in a civil war. As she arrived in Morocco, a hostile fraction of black people fought with the captain and her crew, the winner of the battle would ‘earn’ the princess, the mother and their maids. She told me that she was muttered between anger, fear, horror, and blood. It was a horrible part of her life, but it is because of all these horrible events that this old lady is now wise and useful to the all the young ones that need to learn about the experiences that await them in their future life.

No comments: