Thursday, April 5, 2007

Traveling to a New World


I wept out of great despair, for the Jew and Inquisitor that had provided me with diamonds and moidores were gone. Although I was in great sadness, Candide comforted me with the wise words Pangloss had once recitied to him. When my emotions lessened, we had to sell a horse since I had no more diamonds for us to get Cadiz. The journey was long and tiring, but we managed to get to Cadiz. There my brave, beloved Candide signed up to train with soliders and in return, we would be sent to a new world. With all the hard work that Candide accomplished, he was soon promoted to Captain. He then took me, and my good dame upon the ship along with the Inquisitors horses. We set off in hope of finding a new life and security. Although I couldn't help feeling that I wouldn't be able to find hope and goodness in this new world because of all that I've been through. Candide spoke of such truth and knowledge but all I could tell him was, "I love you with all my heart, but nonetheless I am still scared to the depths of my soul by all that I have seen and undergone." I felt so empty and hurt by my past. Candide knew what it felt like and yet he was still able to think good thoughs using Pangloss' theories. I wish I could face my past with such a positive outlook like that. Although my good dame liked to differ, telling me that I haven't been through half of what she has gone through. I was in shock! How could a woman like her suffer more than me? For I have been through the most terrible situations that anyone would cringe just from hearing them. Despite all this, she still didn't budge and started to tell us about her own past experiances.

No comments: